View Single Post
Old 10-10-07, 07:30 AM

mgc,
according to 'Dress Regulations 1900' (W.Y.Carman 1969 & reprinted 1980)
gilding metal basically means a metal suitable for gilding purposes & is an alloy of 8 parts copper & 1 part zinc.
The dictionary states that brass is an alloy of copper & zinc ,containing more than 50% of copper. So I guess that they are really the same thing !!
Your assumption about the 'bendability' is a good one. Most old origionals are very hard to bend,including the sliders & lugs. The copies can vary, due to the cheaper alloys often used ,but this is getting harder to tell as they are getting more canny with their manufacturing & I'm told also that time can affect the metal stiffness also ,hardening with age.
Take care ,as I'm sure that OSD's (as are all items worth any good money now-a-days) are being 're-made' also now,but colour & finish can be a good indicator here.The origional way of 'bronzing' is hard to replicate ,unless done by using the origional processes & materials. I'm also reliably informed that 'blackened' badges were probably made in a similar way.Using a special powder,mixed to a paste,then applied by rubbing on layers,with a cloth, to the badge ,that has been heated to a temperature that will sizzle water (or spit ,was a good indicator also??).
Hope this is of a little help?
Cheers !
Steve (NZ)