View Single Post
Old 10-02-18, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Hi Simon
My first comments were aimed at expressing my opinion without judging.
After seeing your provenance I think we should document these badges as known 'non-Gaunt' variations. Thanks for sharing all the info etc as even though there might always be a small '?', if I'd acquired it in the same manner, I'd be happy with it too!
Most of the fakes I've seen have a voided crown, so this is more unusual.
Great group to have, well done!!
Cheers,
Alex
Alex,

I have no problem with any of your comments or with you expressing your opinion. I deliberately set the thread to unfold the way that it did in order to encourage debate.

I think that there is a tendency in the badge collection fraternity to be 'over protective' in applying strict criteria as to what constitutes an original badge and sometimes the good is discarded along with the bad. I understand why this happens when there are dealers who knowingly sell fakes and who are willing to commission forgeries.

It is certainly wise to exercise caution and apply criteria when parting with money for rare badges, but we would do well to bear in mind that not everyone is out to deceive.

I would have had some doubts about this badge if it had not come from the family with the other items, particularly after looking at the various threads on the forum regarding Drake battalion badges.

More importantly, I hope that this thread will help to save examples of this particular Drake variant from destruction as fakes.

Good hunting.

Simon