View Single Post
Old 17-03-14, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Thanks indeed John, for a very thorough and informative response. I need to go through it step by step as I may be confusing versions. It's a pity that there were no illustrations to complement your info - that would be the cherry on the cake!
When you say 'vertical version', do I take it you are referring to the version as used on headdress?
Further to this thread, I have gone through a previous thread for RIF badges (headdress) and you mentioned something about the bronze pattern and its usage. I have a bronze badge with (presumably) silver separate centrepiece (plumes & harp) that has been darkened. There are 2 sweatholes at back. What befuddled me for a moment is the presence of a lug (typical copper loop) at top just behind upper part of flames, and directly beneath this loop a small bronze rectangular 'shelf', as if this was a support for the loop! Of course, this may be nothing more than the horizontal part of a slider, and the loop brazed on as a means of attachment - but only one loop at top!
I am attaching a pic, but only of the front I'm afraid. Comments most welcome.
GTB
This badge is a headdress badge and the fact that it has sweat holes leads me to believe that it is not an OSD cap badge in a conventional sense but is a die stamped brazed O/R badge that is darkened deliberately of otherwise.

I would have expected a slider or two loops it appears from your description that it may once have had a slider but has only ever had one loop

John