View Single Post
Old 20-10-13, 05:17 PM

[QUOTE=grumpy;234683]Graham why do you say "and the unusual pattern of SD uniform", I think this is not SD post 1902 surely?

Regarding cyclists, a little-known order around 1900 allowed soldiers a Cycling uniform, usually blue - patrol style frock and blue pantaloons with puttees. This morphed, I believe, into the private-purchase [and sometimes unit-purchase] blue patrols, with distinctive high collar, collar badges, and shaped breast pockets. See more, from my notes:

I realise it's not the universal pattern of 1902, but appears to be a campaign SD of an unusual pattern - with no breast pockets. It doesn't appear to be KD, which was of a light weight material. The turn of the century throws up unusual patterns of SD, particularly during the South African War and in many cases no two units seem to wear the same pattern. It's a minefield and probably the reason for a 'universal' pattern of SD in 1902.

As for Cyclists - again no two units appear to wear the same, especially among Volunteer Cyclist Companies - as shown in the photos from S.O.T.Q.. If I remember correctly 3rd V.B., N.F. Cyclist Companies wore khaki from the beginning and at no time wore any form of blue's - nor did Cyclist Companies from V.B.'s Durham L.I.. So the Order you mention was not universally adhered too outside of the Regular's or probably within it.