View Single Post
Old 19-10-17, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
Although similar in appearance the Rifle regiments pouch belt and bandsmans pouches are quite different. The latter was much larger as it was intended as a music case (which was also the supply chain nomenclature).
This is certainly true of the current Band of the Brigade of Gurkhas.

Their pouch is the larger music case and its belt has a buckle close to the left epaulette ...

2012 ADR

Well seen in this photo from 2015 ...

This shot at a ceremony at the cenotaph in 2014, shows in the left foreground the standard back pouch with the full 75mm width cross belt being worn by one of the band's WO's. Note also the sword loops. He's not the Bugle Major as he's in another shot from the same event, plus he has wings - BSM perhaps? Unfortunately his sleeve insignia are not properly visible from this angle.

The full shot of the 1st Green Jackets, 43rd & 52nd playing at Oxford City FC in 1960, that I cropped BM Simpson out of above, includes a good shot of the band wearing the bandsman's belt with the buckle at the left shoulder ...

© RGJ BAND 2017

However, current practice in The Rifles Band & Bugles is definitely to wear the smaller back pouch, with the narrower SNCO cross belt. See this 2015 shot from the National Memorial Arboretum ...

This may be one of the Reserve Bands, but the band & bugles dress regs are identical to the Regulars.

Again there is a full width cross belt in sight here being worn by the band member on the right of centre with the feather plume, presumably another WO.

In current Rifles practice, Buglers do not wear the cross belt, unless their rank is higher than Corporal, but the waist belt with the buglers sword just to the rear of the left hip.

Band and Bugles is slightly off topic, but this thread is proving very useful and I hope you'll indulge me!

Mark

Last edited by MBrockway; 19-10-17 at 08:17 PM.