View Single Post
Old 18-08-14, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Stewart View Post
Not a stupid question at all - and 'yes' they are different, but the general make up of the Army at the turn of the last Century can be quite confusing.

You had;-
The Regular or 1st Class Reserve - with additional Sections.
The Special Reserve - formerly the old Militia prior to 1908.
The National Reserve & it's three Classes(I, II & III), which took over from the Veteran Reserve, and which was administered by the County Associations, which eventually became 'Supernumary Companies'
The National Volunteer Reserve - possibly remnants of the above, which were absorbed into the Volunteer Force.
Plus, AFAIK, the Special Reserve continued in Ireland and (subsequently) Northern Ireland until 1953. I can't remember why Ireland was treated differently.

In England (from Wikipedia) The Special Reserve reverted to its militia designation in 1921, then to Supplementary Reserve in 1924, though the units were effectively placed in "suspended animation" until disbanded in 1953.