Thread: QOGLR
View Single Post
Old 25-07-16, 07:16 PM

Default a/a QOGTR

Hi Gents,
What an interesting thread! Got in a bit late on this one but as I am the owner of the Q.O.G.T.R cap badge that is in Chris Marsh's book. Thought I'd better put my two pence worth in.
The badge in question was bought for £3 at Ashford market. The trader had no idea what it was so there was no attempt to deceive me and sell me a "knocked up" badge.
I thought at first it was an 100% a/a badge but later discovered after publication that it in fact was indeed a Hybrid.
The badge is in good condition and I.M.O is a factory made badge.
I understand all the comments and opinions for & against on this badge which is good that we can openly discuss our (my) hobby.
The one thing that bothers me with this badge is that people are thinking that this is a Gurkha Transport Regiment badge with the metal QOGTR scroll araldited on!
Well, I post the reverse of a J.R Gaunt B'ham GTR badge & the J.R Gaunt B'ham hybrid badge.
You will notice the 2 dies are very different in fact the GTR badge is solid backed, whether any Forum member out there has a GTR A/A die which is similar to the die on the hybrid badge would be interesting to see. I for one haven't seen one.
Remember this has to be an a/a badge not new metal.
I have seen a similar reverse die which was on a Firmin marked badge for the Gurkha A.S.C I have since sold it so I am unable to compare.
Why this badge was made I don't know but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the weight of the badge may have been a cause for concern? Certainly the R.G.B.W Regiment cap badge was made smaller because the heavy new metal ones kept falling out of the soldiers berets!
Anyway your comments are welcome.
Regards
Colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_1735.jpg (45.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 101_1736.jpg (43.4 KB, 14 views)