Thread: QOGLR
View Single Post
Old 24-07-16, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Well Gents, for my money, I think Marc and Tim's last 2 posts have probably made things a little clearer. The crude all metal badges shown in the above posts and the AA/metal combo badges could well have been made locally in HK then. Additionally Marc has evidence that the 'Araldited' all metal badges were made in the unit and it could well be safe to assume the AA/metal hybrid was made in the same fashion - ostensibly perhaps to make up for shortage in badges?

We know that a badge was made locally in AA for the RLC (which presents in all silver) in order to supplement a shortage of the issued cap badge. Additionally a black Kings Regt badge was made in HK prior to an OP Banner tour in the 1970's - so it is a practice we know about.

What we haven't really delved into here is the murky area of copies/fakes/counterfeits - however you wish to refer to them - when dealing in modern 'new metal' cap badges - especially when encountering the Gaunt marked sliders.

Thanks chaps, I value everyone's opinions here and they are all valid - healthy debate and exchange of knowledge is key. Very interesting thread. In effect opens up the whole debate of Gurkha badges and the issue of locally made items in Hong Kong.

Regards all

Bess

Bess
Sounds good Bess,

I concur - we have a series of non normal supply badges, a museum badge and a good 'un.

re: copies/fakes/counterfeits of 'New Metal' badges - there are truck loads of them - believe me. Studying these modern badges makes my A/A project look like a doddle.

Thankfully, there are a lot less of them...

Regards,

Chris

Last edited by hagwalther; 24-07-16 at 04:42 AM.