View Single Post
Old 12-09-17, 10:01 PM

Project Update..

My RWAFF project is coming along splendidly. I've loaded up twenty five badges now in the album with a few more yet to do.

I thought I would talk a little about some of the badges that really peek my interest and to be more specific, these are the locally made or 'artisan' examples.

I have attached a group photograph showing four of my favorites - the centre badge is for perspective as it is of formal manufacture (by Firmin).

The badges top left and right (No's 17 & 24 respectively) are especially interesting in their own right, as they are clearly very naive and simplistic in their construction. The top right (No 24) seemingly cast from an alloy. As most are brass, it's quite unusual for that.

The bottom left (No 16) example is a firm favorite, as the quality of details put into its construction is quite something - someone really took some time to make this a splendid badge.

Perhaps the most interesting to me is the one bottom right (No 25). Again and like the previous example, the quality is superb, with plenty of detail present. The palm leaves for examples are a real joy. But perhaps the most interesting aspect is found within the scroll, as the 'R' is squeezed in. After careful study I'm convinced this is a pre 1928 'WAFF' badge that was later updated with the addition of the letter R when the Force was granted the prefix of 'Royal'. All letters are also stamped into the brass as apposed to cast, another unusual feature. I will talk more about this in a later post when I have had time to compare it to some other badges.

One thing is for sure, these locally made or 'artisan' crafted badges never get boring.

Cheerio,

Roy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RWAFF group.jpg (44.1 KB, 43 views)

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com