Thread: print to pdf
View Single Post
Old 07-09-17, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Hi Thomas,

I don't have or use Photoshop, I was looking for a Quick (Windows) way to make a pdf file from pictures in a folder and be able to use what was available on the pc.
The program makes a simple web page, and users can use the web browser to print to a printer or file.
you said "If you want to send images from a pdf file, why not send the complete pdf?"

Apologies if I didn't make myself clear, I don't want to send an image from a pdf file, I wanted to use a folder of picture and make a pdf file from them and then send that file for the other person to use to compare what they have in a collection.
The sample folder I used has 365 pictures, and comes to about 218 mb and the pdf file made is about 28mb. A copy of each picture is saved at the size selected by the program as a jpg. I will take a look at "WeTransfer" , What format is the raw uncompressed files you send? and would i need software to read that file?
Thanks for your input, Derrick.
Right, understood Derrick. I don't send RAW files, they are only data, not a visible image. I work mostly with uncompressed tiff files.

Tiff files can be accessed with any image viewer software.

Images from my camera saved as tiff are 4288 x 2848 pixels and circa 35,5 Mb. Compare this size for instance to the maximum uploadable size here on the forum of 800 x 750 pixels and 117.2 kb. and you can imagine the additional wealth of available detail.

Any reduction in image size results in a loss of image quality, there are simply less pixels to convey the same image information.
Enlarging an image does not restore the same amount of information, images just tend to get muddled and fuzzy because computer logarithms work differently than our eyes.

The pdf file format was designed for office text documents and dial up connections, not specifically for quality images. Pdf compression is less worse than jpeg compression but with todays fast internet and huge storage capabilities I don't see a need for it.

Most uninitiated make the wrong assumption that images which look OK on the internet are also suitable for printing, this is not the case, computer screens work with a resolution of just 72 dots per inch, printers use a much higher resolution of at least 300 dots per inch, so the internet image gets really small fast if you want to maintain the same sharpness, or gets fuzzy and muddled when blown up to a useful size.

The free version of WeTransfer allows up to 2 Gb in one go.

Older versions of Photoshop can be downloaded legally and for free from the Adobe website.

TLDR version: avoid compression!

Rgds, Thomas.

Last edited by fougasse1940; 07-09-17 at 08:53 PM.