View Single Post
Old 18-10-17, 12:05 PM

Fair comment Toby - but I was picking up on Mike acquiring this badge alongside a 1937 hallmarked RB badge.

Fully agree the OBLI/1st Green Jackets (43rd and 52nd) prior to 1958 were redcoats and did not wear crossbelts meaning a big culture shock when they went into rifle green.

Not so sure about KRRC and RB retaining their insignia after 1958 though.

The 1958 KRRC Chronicle has this on the matter ...

Quote:
Reorganisation
On 7th November, 1958, the new Green Jackets Brigade was officially formed with the three Regiments assuming their new titles :

1st Green Jackets, 43rd and 52nd.
2nd Green Jackets, The King's Royal Rifle Corps.
3rd Green Jackets, The Rifle Brigade

On the previous day H.R.H. The Duke of Gloucester, attended by the Colonels Commandant, took a parade at the Depot to mark the occassion and the new Brigade badge and the Green Jackets flash were seen on parade for the first time.

To all 60th Riflemen it must have been sad not to see the familiar black Maltese cross and the bugle on its red cherry on parade but at the same time it must have been with considerable relief that all realised that we have been spared the far more drastic changes that have had to be accepted by so many other regiments. Our old title is included in our new one ; our abbreviated title is still K.R.R.C., and, in the illogical but traditional manner of Riflemen, we can still continue to refer to ourselves as the 60th. The new badge includes our Maltese Cross and is in fact based on a crossbelt badge worn in the 60th in 1822-27.
I've attached a drawing of the 60th's 1822-27 crossbelt badge below, sourced from Astley Terry's Uniform, Armament and Equipment Appendix to the Annals of the KRRC from 1913.

The similarity to Mike's badge is clear.

It also resolves for me the issue of the tablet between cross and crown containing 'PENINSULA' rather than 'WATERLOO' as per the RB's badge. I was scratching my head over that!

The gobbet from the KRRC Chronicle above strongly suggests the badges were standardised across all three regiments in the Green Jacket Brigade.

If this badge is a back pouch badge, then it could be from any of the three regiments.

I'll do a trawl through my 1950's KRRC material to see if I can spot a back pouch badge in a photo, though I guess this will be a long shot

Mark

Last edited by MBrockway; 18-10-17 at 12:12 PM.