View Single Post
Old 18-10-17, 11:20 AM

Dear Mike and All.

How interesting the two photos of the Harrogate Pipe Major that you think are around 1968.

Is there any possibility that the photos of the 1968 Pipe Major from Harrogate is actually wearing the Grant Plaid Brooch on his Black Watch Plaid?

Compare the two photos with the one I have attached of Senior Pipe Sergeant Bob Mathieson of the Junior Leaders Regiment Royal Signals taken in 1964 (My time) wearing the Grant Plaid Brooch with the Grant Tartan that the Pipe Band of the time wore. Hard to tell but they do look similar from a distance. Comments please.

The interesting thing is. The Junior Leaders Regiment, Royal Corps of Signals closed down in 1967. (After my time). I believe boy soldiers after that date actually went to Harrogate for their training but not 100% sure.

Is there a possibility that JLR uniforms were then used by the Harrogate Pipe Band after 1967 and hence what looks like Grant Plaid Brooches being worn for a period of time? Interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My only thought is would they have actually used another clans brooch when they were wearing Black Watch tartans and always have.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Best wishes

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harrogate Piper 2 circa 1968.jpg (26.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Harrogate Piper circa 1968.jpg (25.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Senior Pipe Sergeant Rob Mathieson 1964.jpg (40.0 KB, 31 views)