View Single Post
Old 12-02-18, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
So would a soldier who fought in the Battle of Hong Kong and was then captured and held prisoner in Hong Kong eventually receive both stars? I'm thinking particularly of the late Max Cheng - HKSRA, then PW in Shamshuipo then escaped to China and joined BAAG and then to India - enlisted in the British Army and went into Burma as a Sgt interpreters with 3 GR. He returned to Hong Kong shortly after Liberation and served on as an Interpreter on War Crimes Investigation Unit. Mike
Medals and awards not my field of knowledge at all but reading the source document it would appear that the following was the official practice -

The Pacific Star and the Burma Star were classed as alternative awards. Personnel whose service qualified for both these awards could only be awarded the star for which they first qualified. They wore a clasp to denote they had qualified for the second star, or a silver rose on the ribbon.

So I guess he would only have qualified to wear the Pacific Star, but wore a clasp BURMA on it as well.

Keith