View Single Post
Old 09-02-10, 01:15 AM

From the newsletter of the 4th/7th Royal Dragoon guards newsletter (available on line here http://www.creullyclub.freeuk.com/frameset.htm issue 13)

replies (by Ian Gill and Alastair Morrison and others) to a question posted in issue 12 . I quote...

Ian Gill - Members of the Regiment may have seen an article in the 'Regiment' magazine (issue 34, page 14) entitled D-Day
Flash - this is a fanciful narrative concerning the flash worn on our uniform jacket and (I quote) "awarded to all regiments landing in the first assault on D-Day".

I had no idea how this account of regimental dress gained a foothold in our history, but I can tell you it is absolute rubbish. So I think it best if we placed on record the true origins of the 'Regimental Flash' before it becomes enshrined in regimental folklore.

I was commanding 3rd Troop 'C' Squadron 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards when the Regiment was stationed in Northern France as part of the B.E.F. It was in the winter of 1939/40 when the Commanding Officer received an Army Order from GHQ demanding "all units in the B.E.F to remove forthwith badges of recognition from battle-dress" in order to conceal our identity and order of battle (this took some believing since units of the B.E.F were constantly being referred to by name in broadcasts from Berlin by 'Lord Haw Haw' over our own Forces Radio frequency). This done how were to recognise troops in our own regiment without the use of badges?

The Adjutant Captain (later Major General) d'Avigdor-Goldsmid suggested we should have a recognition flash made from a worsted material in the same design as the diamond flash painted in regimental colours on our steel helmets; the flash to be worn on the left sleeve of the battle-dress jacket. Some months later (IHQ (?) made it known that we could retain the use of regimental insignia after all. Back on the battle-dress jacket went the numerals and 'collar-dogs', but it was decided to leave the flash on the jacket and there it remained as an integral part of regimental dress until, many years later (1992?). it was transferred to the No 2 Dress (Service Dress) tunic.

Those in possession of Brereton's history of the 4th/7th might care to look at photo plate No 57; the two soldiers in the right front of the photograph can be seen wearing the flash on the left sleeve of their battle-dress; this photo was taken four weeks after our return from Dunkirk in July 1940; so, please no more about the 'D-Day Flash'.

Alastair Morrison - An order was received when the 4th/7th were in the B.E.F in Autumn 1939 that cap badges would NOT be worn - security given as the reason. The 4th/7th designed an arm flash for their own instant recognition, sewn on the left arm in regimental colours.

Later, I believe when the 27 Armd. Brigade was formed - 26.11.40 - the 13/18H followed suit with a blue and white flash.

Tom Tyreman - About that 'D-Day Flash', I am sure lots of chaps will have given you the right story by now, but what its worth, here's mine.

I was given them to sew on when I joined the Regiment in April 1941 - D-Day was not even a twinkle in those days.

I was told, though by whom I can't remember, that it was the colours of the Belgian flag and had been awarded to us after the Battle of Waterloo.