View Single Post
Old 07-01-11, 11:00 PM

Dear All

Thank you all for your input and pictures. I think the general concensus is that there is no fail safe way to tell the difference but that it is easier to tell an officer's pre 1950 badge due to it being private purchase and obviously of higher quality than an issued WO badge. I also think like Jeff that K&K is wrong in saying that there were slight differences in design between WO & officer's badges and I think it is more than likely manufacturer's variation. Of the 3 badges I have shown - The first one I bought about 6 months and I have assumed it to be a WO's cap star. As Andy says it is LB&B and it is a very nice badge, by far the better looking of the 3. The 3rd badge was acquired over Christmas and was advertised as an officer's cap star, although a nice multi part construction badge (dismantled pic attached) it is nowhere near the quality and feel of the first badge, it feels and looks more like white metal than silver/SP. I received the 2nd badge this week and believe it or not it is the current issue officer's cap star (large, there is a current issue small version as well). It was in it's original packaging with the correct NSN etc (8455-99-130-3593) which iaw JSP 768 is Scot's Guards Officer's Cap Badge (Large), "Sterling silver gilt finish, Green enamel finish in centre". As you can tell from the picture it is nowhere near the quality of some of the earlier badges shown. Putting all 3 badges side by side, I can see no real difference in design but there is the obvious differences in quality of finish.

Many thanks again to all

Paddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1985.jpg (74.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1982.jpg (86.4 KB, 41 views)