View Single Post
Old 17-09-17, 11:25 AM

Hi Thomas (Fougasse 1940) - good to hear from you.
I am not an expert on knives but gather from independent expert opinion the wear to scabbards confirm they are a perfect match for long paired items. The staining/marking/wear to the leather scabbards do suggest a perfect match for each knife. I recall the two knives were very slightly different and hence the ability to be sure each knife was in the correct scabbard. Nevertheless, I agree it is right to ask such questions. Thanks for your interest. I appreciate your thoughts and any other ideas from the Forum.

.................................................. .........................................

A POTENTIALLY INTERESTING DEVELOPMENT

Tim (Grey-Green-Acorn) and all
Since you suggested of an SOE connection I recall the Middle East Commando knife appeared popular within Force 133 - I have now checked the London Gazette for Donald Hamilton-Hill author of SOE Assignment and a member of Force 133. A Middle East Commando knife appears on the cover of his book (in the edition I have)

This has proved very interesting

First appears ... 15 Dec 1939, where he is listed as 108363 - Camerons - Emergency Commission 25 Nov 1939.

The next reference to him I can find is 23 May 1946 where he is listed under Camerons as Maj (temp) HD Hamilton-Hill - 108363 - receiving a Mention in Despatches in recognition of gallant and distinguished service in the Mediterranean Theatre.

Like my search for Emery I can find no more (ie I can not find promotions for Hamilton-Hill or Emery). I STAND TO BE CORRECTED IF ANYONE CAN FIND MORE.

However, Is it possible, given these apparent similarities, that Emery served with Force 133, or similar organisation? I retain an open mind but IF my findings are correct this must be a possibility.

THOUGHTS OF ANY FORUM MEMBERS WELCOME

Many thanks
Mike