View Single Post
Old 15-09-17, 03:17 PM

Hi Paul
Very many thanks for pointing RJ Emery out. There was a bit of a discussion on the Commando Veterans Association site about the possibility it could be him. As you kindly point out in your posting - It was noted Capt Reginald Emery, R Norfolk Regt served in No.6 Cdo. No service number was given but the proposal built up quite a 'head of steam'.

As No.6 Cdo served in North Africa there was a possible (perhaps tenuous) link to ME Cdo knives.

I did some digging in the No.6 Cdo war diary and found: Capt RJ Emery, is NOT noted on Field Returns for 19 December 1942, or 2 January 1943 when No.6 Cdo was in North Africa (Nov 1942-May 1943). However, it remained possible that Capt RJ Emery may have acquired the knives subsequently.

The first reference to Lt RJ Emery is when he was in charge of Group C4 for Exercise Regency, planned for either 8-9 July 1943 or 13-16 July 1943. Unfortunately no service number or parent regiment is provided. The next reference I have is on 20 September 1943 when he goes on a mule training course in Scotland. Your posting helpfully adds details of subsequent service in North West Europe.

I also unearthed a record for Lt RJ Emery No.6 Cdo with parent Regiment of Lancashire Fusiliers (rather than Norfolk Regiment) and Service No.262301

Either of the above sets of 'records' may be linked to the knives in some way - perhaps even being different people from the same family (perhaps doubtful).

What threw favour on the RAOC chap (Alan Harry Augustus Emery - 126533) is the similarity of Service Number (12633) recorded on the knives - and the reference Jon found in the Army list to his 'Special Service' - the problem is padding this out.

Many thanks for your help Paul, and to everyone who does not mind me 'banging on' about this puzzle. It is just that I value the opinions and help we gain through this Forum. There will be an answer ... just need to nail it

Mike