View Single Post
Old 31-07-17, 12:07 PM

I had seen this beret when it was still listed, first thing it that is is a Candian made beret, which is not something I have seen being issued to British troops, if it was a BD then yes, that did happen, but never seen it with a beret.

The other thing is the colour, Rifles regiments usually wear rifles green headdress, though during WWII (the beret is dated 1945 so I assume you mean that period or shortly after) Khaki berets were worn by motorised infantry units and officers, tan/beige berets were SF, which applies to Canadian units as well as UK.

It is a nice late war beret, but when or why the badge appeared on it I could not say or in fact what actual colour it is.

War time, rifles units are more likely to have worn the Cap General Service from mid 43 on, before that the Universal pattern field service cap.
If they were part of a motorised infantry unit from October 1942 (& originally recon corps, but they stopped wearing it later in the war), they would wear the khaki beret.

I think that if you wanted this as a wartime Rifles Beret, then you saved yourself some money.

Jerry