View Single Post
Old 11-12-19, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natal01 View Post
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for identifying the badge as a somewhat modified Shako plate. I guess that we shall never know how it was used and by whom, but it does go to the core of why I collect -it is a tangible link to history. Not particularly valuable to a collector in its altered state, but it excites an urge to investigate the time when the original badge was worn. Sadly British badges have been replicated for so long now that without compelling provenance it is very difficult to know what is real. I feel confident that this significant piece of an original badge is real so I'll start investigating the history of those men of the 73rd and their time in Southern Africa.
Regards
Mike
I have seen this type of badge before in a book, although I’m sorry to say I cannot recall which one. What I do remember is that it was a common modification for a specific period to enable a part of the badge to be worn on undress headwear of some kind (probably a knitted woollen forage cap, but that’s just my speculation). The crown part was fitted with a tang to go through the loop of the lower part and then both parts were secured by a pin inside the shako. The suggestion of a Martingale seems unlikely to me, in any case, as the thin loop would be under too much strain from the stout leather used in saddlery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EF6FDDC5-D0E4-439D-872C-3810F9A6D583.jpeg (39.0 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 11-12-19 at 03:28 PM.