View Single Post
Old 17-11-13, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
Another sweeping generalisation that is not borne out by the photographic evidence. I have dozens of photographs of war time Scottish soldiers wearing sporrans with badges, Cameron Highlanders, Seaforth Highlanders, Gordon Highlanders, Royal Highlanders, London Scottish, Liverpool Scottish and so on. I have more photographs of soldiers with badges on their sporrans than without. I do however suspect that a generic "economy" sporran was issued at some point in the proceedings.

What also emerges is the the number of non-regulation pattern sporrans worn. Take for example this chap from the Seaforth Highlanders who seems to have a dead sheep in use as a sporran. Whilst officers of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders seem to have decimated the badger poputation in order to use their heads as sporran decorations.
Hi HW
Yes, you're correct, a bit of a sweeping generalisation, I should have been more clear. The regiments did have badges pre-war and there would have been some issued, but as the war dragged on and soldiers were recruited in their 10 of 1000's, the issue of badges became secondary, so what I meant was that it wasn't surprising to see photos of wartime recruits wearing sporrans with no badge.
Pre-war I would have expected a badge on the sporran, though there are always exceptions!!! :-)
Cheers,
Alex