View Single Post
Old 15-11-13, 03:14 PM

I would agree that military sporrans should have badges on the cantle; but the absence of a badge does not exclude the possibility that Alexander Morrison was a soldier and not a civilian. It might only signify that he didn't have a badge on his cantle. Perhaps they should have been worn with badges but as photographs show, people wore what they wore and didn't or couldn't wear what they hadn't (yet) been issued with.

Below are three examples from my photographic collection of sporran's being worn without regimental badges. Two of the soldiers were members of the 1/5th Seaforth Highlanders and the third was in the Argyle And Sutherland Highlanders. Both of the Seaforth Highlanders were killed in action so there is no doubt that they were soldiers.

I also think that Alexander Morrison was a Gordon Highlander or possibly a Cameron Highlander. If he was a non-territorial Seaforth I would have expected the yellow lines in the tartan to show up as large white squares in B&W photographs. If he was 5th Btn Seaforth Highlander he admittedly wouldn't have the yellow lines.

The absence of a cap badge may not be particularly significant either as I can produce several pictures of non highland soldiers wearing caps without badges. Presumably they had their photographs taken before the badges were issued.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seaforth Weedon.jpg (35.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg S H Weedon cu.jpg (39.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg SH Coppock cu.jpg (42.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg A SH whole.jpg (30.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg A SH cu.jpg (31.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by High Wood; 15-11-13 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Spelling.