View Single Post
Old 16-08-17, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
These photographs have puzzled me for some time - I believe they both came from the Commando Veterans Assocation site. I have a further private image with the wife of a well known Commando wearing something similar.
I agree it could be a good luck badge, but I also believe it could be some form of 'funding day' badge, given wear by a Commando wife.
Always interested to hear a definitive answer.
Mike
Hello gents. I would like to add something to this subject. Since both men participated in the Lofoten commando raid (Op.Claymore) and since the Lofoten
Islands are above the Artic Circle,perhaps someone thought it would be a good idea to have something to remember the raid and had a (perhaps) metal polar bear made, to be worn very unoffically by those who were active in the raid.The fact that the commando in the top photo is already wearing the polar bear is a bit strange.
After all the Br.49th Infantry Division adopted a polar bear as its div.sign after fighting in Norway and based in Iceland for a time.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.