View Single Post
Old 19-12-14, 10:39 AM
LYPAO Boff

Here, attached, is the Firmin version of the 1968 approved AA waist belt motto and the Other Ranks beret/cap Motto..... the first AA production from Firmin. Firmin did not make a chrome waist belt motto after this first AA attempt [1]. It was not long after these were approved when they bought out Smith & Wright Ltd/Dowler and then just concentrated on the Cap Motto production, acquiring the SWLtd Motto gave them the ability to produce their own and a copy of the SWLtd as the alternative.

There is only "one" genuine SWLtd AA that is marked "FIRMIN LONDON" and I think that came from Dowler..... everything from Firmin after that is their copy. I think there may have been some issue with the rights to its use....as the next time we see the SWLtd Motto "proper"..... is from Shaw Munster (post 2000), a company that retained some directors of SWLtd & Dowler I believe.

[1] I suspect that Gaunts ability to chrome plate, at the time, gave Gaunt the advantage in production? To date I have not seen a chrome example Motto from Firmin? Gaunt does appear to have the lions share of the business during the 1970s & 80s (from the physical evidence)? Gaunt providing a new Officers die and a very good AA made from it obviously gained preference in the Regiment.

SO.... in light of the approval date of 1968 (Gaunt & Firmin).... flash to bang time on "completed" production and into Regimental Stores would be?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WaistBeltCap1972.jpg (75.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 1973GauntProd1968.jpg (74.5 KB, 17 views)

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 19-12-14 at 08:56 PM.