View Single Post
Old 20-07-18, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popskipa View Post
The beret has been sold.

"A fool and their money are soon parted"

I wonder if it will eventually be shown on this forum?

Enjoy the hobby, but be careful

Keith
Not wanting to throw a spanner in the works but for £69 if anyone actually believes they’re getting anything close to an original must clearly be deluded or very stupid

I’m sure there is a more logical explanation. For example I know one or two collectors who pick up pieces like this as conversation points, for learning and even keeping them off the market to unsuspecting collectors

A lot of people ask me why I hoover up Pegasus patches, Parachute Regiment cap badges and Para wings despite having 30 or 40 examples of the same in my collection and several examples for sale on my website. There are three reasons ... to add to my collection... to learn and handle as many original examples as possible ... and for investment and to keep market prices steady (I’ve never lost money on genuine militaria and it’s far more enjoyable and rewarding than keeping it sat in the bank). The hobby is my passion and I’m not actually bothered if I don’t make any money, though.

Also I have to add that one is able to highlight non original examples of militaria for sale however a lot of the time the seller’s intentions are honest and not intended to deceive just as in Keith’s email reply from the auctioneer. I noticed about 15 years ago when a lot of the bigger dealers started jumping on the Airborne bandwagon that they were selling bad items, not deliberately, but through lack of education and the belief that what they were selling was good. Add to the mix the naivety of a lot of buyers and you have a perfect storm.

In the past I’ve tried until in blue in the face to prove to someone that an item is not original and they still won’t believe me. Live and let live I guess.

An interesting thread ...