View Single Post
Old 14-12-17, 05:49 AM

Ed's thoughts echo my own which have been posted elsewhere.

Tanker Mike - even if the SALH did get the VC, what would they do with it? Calgary Highlanders got an original VC for their gallery last year - it's still not on display because it doesn't meet the security standards expected by the insurance company. There will be an upgrade - to include motion detectors, etc.

And if SALH were to install these measures in their armoury - where to display it, and how many people would reasonably be expected to see it there?

Ok, so what about the Military Museums in Calgary? There is no dedicated SALH display, and the four regimental galleries have pretty big medal displays already.

I don't mean to downplay the importance of the VC, but as a taxpayer, don't want a single penny of my money going to fund the re-purchase of medals that were originally issued for free, then sold for hefty profits by the families. The cinefilm and photo footage of Currie in the act of earning the medal is priceless, and as I understand it, copyright free - and a wonderful way of memorializing the deeds and the man.

I hope whomever got the VC appreciates the history behind it - if they paid over half a mil, I am sure they will at the least appreciate its monetary value and give it a good home.