Thread: Sword Research
View Single Post
Old 10-05-17, 11:35 PM

Default Sword Research

Good evening members;

I hope some of you can help me in the researching of a sword that I'm involved in as fols;

A long time friend of mine (Ex RCOC/Loggie); 50 years and counting) has asked the museum if we can find out some info on a sword that has been in his family for a few generations. First a little history;

In New Brunswick after the revolution and expulsion of the Acadians in the 18th century, the British army deployed mounted patrols throughout the area.These patrols would frequently seek shelter in various farms they came across. The policy was that these patrols would pay farmers for the use of their property.
One of my friends ancestors was requested to harbour such a patrol. When the patrol left, the officer, Lieut R Luard, did not have any money and offered to leave his sword as a guarantee that he would return with the money.

He never did return and the sword has been handed down from father to son ever since.

The basket of the sword has a crest in it that I believe is the Royal Cypher of George 1V (King 1820-1830);

On the blade is the inscription; Lieut
R, LUARD
Royal Artillery

The scabbard of leather and metal is in poor condition.

Can anyone confirm the crest is in fact the Royal Cypher?

Would the date on the blade be the year of manufacture or the year of commissioning of Lt LUARD?

Could a kind member point me in the direction of trying to find out the history of LT LUARD Royal Artillery?

I have pictures that I will ask our good friend Bill Alexander to post for me as I have no photo account.

Any comments, observations or leads to further info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Al