View Single Post
Old 05-03-18, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
I would suspect that No1 is pre-ww2, and was worn on the blue grey shirt in India, at a time when shirt sleeve order wasn't official but common sense allowed for tunics to be removed in hot climates.
That would make perfect sense. Other than making insignia removeable to foil snipers, the slip-ons also extended the life of such things, especially in the days before washing machines, when the dhobi wallahs used a flat rock or concrtete slab to beat the dirt out of garments!

It's possible that the red edged pips belonged to a British officer on transfer - there were many, especially ater the IA units saw action and took officer casualties which their own trainig facilities could not replace as quickly as needed. It's also, I think, possible that one or more of ther Battalions of the Mahrattas used 'Rifles' or 'LI' style pips, possibly in defiance of regulations, as a regimental disticntion. I've commented elesewhere about the tendency of all armies to 'improve' on the official dres rules whenever possible.