View Single Post
Old 26-02-15, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin 17 View Post
I heard a story about one of the Irish Regiments loosing their Caubeens and kilts, because the new CO who came from the Vandoos didn't like them. Any truth to this? Colin
I did a course in Borden with a piper from the 2nd Battalion (there is no 1st Battalion, or wasn't at the time) circa 2000, and he arrived wearing pants and a beret. I asked him about it, and the story I had from his lips was, indeed, that a Regular Force officer, or ex Reg F officer, was the new C.O. (?) and had done away with many dress distinctions.

Interesting counterpoint to what I posted just a couple of hours ago in the other thread...but this is only dimly remembered and I stand open to correction. I do recall his beret and harp badge and thought it very odd...we paraded in DEU, I had my kilt, he was in CF trousers.

This was at CFSAL, and there were two from Sudbury and the Irish Regiment on the course; both were RMS Clerks by trade. It may be that infantry were allowed to wear the kilt, but the story you mention sounds very familiar to what I recall him describing to me. Both clerks were in CF trousers and berets.