View Single Post
Old 21-07-10, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
You may even find that the Timings badge was made by Gaunt for a customer who asked for a Timings mark!
Hi 54 Bty,

Could be but I think the marks were added after they left the factory.

I'm unable to confirm this yet though as I need an example 'in hand' to look at properly.

For good badges maker marks were added to the slider before anodising and colouring as denoted by:

a) sometimes found on the reverse of the slider where access after assembly would be impossible for a punch
b) absence of damage to the anodic crust which would have been created by the maker mark punch strike
c) recessed character areas having the same colour as the slider and not exhibiting raw aluminium

An East Yorks came my way via photos on the weekend and I was not happy with it as the slider and manufacturer's mark did not reconcile.

Also some other factors of these dodgy badges did not look those attributed to the company they are purporting to have come from.

It came from a box load all wrapped in tissue or crepe paper from someone I have been investigating for some time now.

The issue is what other items are out there like this - hopefully they will be easy to spot and I now think I know what I'm looking for.

Regards

Chris