View Single Post
Old 19-02-17, 05:48 PM

Default Collection of 'On War Service' badges

Hi dumdum

Many thanks for sharing some of your badges. I believe it is your ‘Q’ series Thomas Fattorni badge that has “Best” overstamped across the word “Fire”, which does seem to be something that is common in these, though the higher numbers, still by Fattorni, don’t have anything along the bottom. Mind, although I can’t make it out clearly, on yours “Best” seems to be stamped quite high up?

Interesting too to see your ‘N’ series badge with a stamped letter rather than the usual embossed kind, as I’ve not seen any like this before, or at least I haven’t noticed any! Regarding the 1915 enamelled version by Gaunt, I understand as well as the larger mark shown on yours there is a small mark which appears behind the crown.

You have some interesting examples of the 1916 badge, and the adapted fixing for the 1914 badge, which has lost its original buttonhole fixing, is also very unusual. All in all you’ve got a nice little collection there, though maybe examples from one or two series of the 1915 badge need yet? Can’t see if there’s any letter on the badge in the top right-hand corner of your picture of eight – is there a letter, or is it a reissued badge?

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”