View Single Post
Old 12-05-17, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Also - have a Phantom related question. From 1944 Phantom had it's own establishment in support of 21st Army Group. From the pics of personnel I've seen I assumed the Light shield with dark cross arm patch worn on the rt. shoulder was the dark blue cross on the yellow background representing 21st AG (Lines of Communications under a separate establishment). 'Experts' have insisted it was in fact the Blue on White of British 2nd Army. I'm not sure this is correct as Phantom worked with all Armies under 21st AG.

For clarification, the formation sign of Second Army is below - the presence of the single sword is unique in NW Europe until after VE Day. The plain cross on a shield could have been (dependent on colour, period, context and style of manufacture could be: 21 Army Group, 21 Army Group L of C, HQ British Troops (BT) Low Countries, BT France, Hamburg District, Brussels Sub-Area. in my opinion. of these the sign most likely to have been worn by elements of Phantom would be 21 Army Group (Blue cross on red shield). Mike
Attachment 170407
Thanks Mike for the response. I've looked at many pics of Phantom personnel and vehicles and they all bear the dark cross on a pale background i.e. I've never seen any of the blue on red. Are you referring to pics - if so do pls share.

Question is really whether it was the British 2nd Army you've attached...or 21st AG L of C. I'm inclined to the latter. I've met the guys who host the Phantom website and they say it's British 2nd Army. I'm not so sure as I can't see the sword on any historic pics. I plan to visit Pembroke Lodge in Richmond Park and review photographs to clarify hopefully.