View Single Post
Old 06-11-17, 05:19 PM

Hello Irv

Of your buttons, the only two I can identify positively are number 4 (the 'VR' button) which was worn by "other ranks on the staff" according to Howard Ripley's book on British Army buttons and number 7 which is an early button for the 22nd (Cheshire) Regiment of Foot dating from around 1800 by the look of it.

I would hazard a guess that numbers 2 and 5 are early 19th century 'generic' patterns for militia and/or volunteers, almost certainly so in the case of the crown over 'GR' button unless there is more on the button than shows up in the photo.

The first button seems to be 'XLV' - 45 - but it is not a pattern recorded by Parkyn in his book as being used by the British 45th Foot. According to him the 45th always used '45' (rather than XLV'). A lot of modern civilian blazer type and some military hunt buttons used roman numerals but your button looks far too old to fall into either category. A lot of early Light Dragoon buttons used roman numerals but usually with an 'LD' or similar but I don't think there was ever a 45th Light Dragoons anyway!

Hopefully someone else will be along to fill in the gaps and put me right if incorrect.

Roger