Thread: Help Please
View Single Post
Old 03-01-13, 07:08 PM

Default Help Please

Dave

Yes it was a pleasure nominating my sister in law.

I also nominated a son of Kathie's cousin. He is a full time employee of a company, He is also a volunteer fireman and has been for 10 years, He is also an Auxiliary Cst with the RCMP, a full time husband and father as well as volunteering for a bunch of duties in his community and coaching his son and other young lads in various sports.

I nominated a retired RCMP Officer who among his 40 years of service to the RCMP and various coaching/volunteering duites he did in the community, he was also head if the Integrated National Security Section in British Columbia that was formed after 911 as well as across Canada. In this capacity, he was one of a few individuals who went to Iraq on a Mission to free some Canadian and British hostages. He worked very closely with the Canadian military and British SAS, I believe. They were successful in getting them out.

I nominated a fourth individual, who I thought was a shoe in for the Medal. He is 87 years old and served in the British Navy during WW 2, he was a member of the Palestine Police from 1946 to 1948. He then came to Canada and joined the RCMP in 1950 and retired in 1974. He has volunteered in may capacities in his travels throughout B.C. and to this day still volunteers at a local Air Museum. The first two got the Medal and the 87 year old who has done the most did not get it. The process was that you had to nominate the person through your local Member of Parlaiment. He had the task of going through the nominees and selecting 30 people.

I do not know if this was the criteria but it just so happened that 15 females got the Medal and 15 males got it. I think it was a little bit of being Politically Correct as opposed to who deserved it the most. He did not get the nod where as people, who as a music teacher, taught a number of kids how to play the Ukelele and then toured with them as good will ambassador, got it. It just did not seem fair. Oh well, 3 out of the 4 people I nominated got it.

Jack