View Single Post
Old 11-09-17, 07:05 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day Dean

We have been through this type of thing at the Running Rabbits Museum in Upwey where I volunteer. We work closely with Collections Vic / Melbourne Museum, also one of our guys has been up to the War Mem in Canberra for a behind the closed doors tour and came back saying that we do it exactly the same as they do.

On receipt all uniforms have any badges etc removed and the uniform put into a vacuum sealed bag and put into a chest freezer for about a week, this kills off all the bugs and creepy crawlies, and you have lots of them up there! If the uniform is to be hung on a coat hanger or similar use one with as wide as possible shoulder support. The uniform is then put into a calico bag and hung in an area with as little light as possible. If you are going to put it into a box get a large flat box and inter leaf it with acid free tissue.

All the bits can be obtained from Archival Survival in Melb, their ware house is in Wangaratta and will mail all the bits to you. I have and we do use them to supply the storage materials. They will probably be able to provide advice as well. I don't have their contact details handy but Mr Google will help out here.

However your biggest prob is going to be heat and humidity and I'd hope you know how to look after these issues.

All the best

Regards

Phil.

Nd as an after thought how's mum and the new bub ??