View Single Post
Old 21-10-14, 12:06 PM

Default Brigadier Goode, Sudan Defence Force, and Where are they now?

Hello,

Like many collectors I often muse upon things I could/should have bought and where are they now?

One item in particular was a vehicle pennant and badges that belonged to Brigadier Goode of the Sudan Defence Force.

Members on this forum will know my interest in the Long Range Desert Group, indeed I have collected to the unit for over 50 years.

As a young collector I would visit Portabello Road market most Saturdays. One of the Militaria sellers was Jim Goode often referred to as"The Brigadier". After becoming a regular to his stall I chatted to Jim about a book I was reading, Lloyd Owen's "Providence Their Guide". Jim smiled and said"I remember them, yes I helped out their chaps when we were laying siege to Jalo...". When I returned to my book there it was, the LRDG a patrol was shot up and several survivors made their way by foot to Jalo and were re supplied by a helpful officer of the SDF. I tried to get Jim back on the subject but somehow we never discussed the incident again.

Jim died many years ago and items pertaining to his service in the SDF were sold in auction, Wallis and Wallis I think, I found out about the sale after the event so not able to bid. I have often wondered where they are now and if the owner knows the LRDG tale...

Keith

Always interested in anything LRDG, ILRS a or PPA...