View Single Post
Old 05-04-14, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnG View Post
I note in this photograph the cats tails are facing to the rear and the divisional sign does not have a sword superimposed on it, i.e. the infantry version.

In the 1950's I wore the armoured division version of the badge, with red sword superimposed on the black cat, and dress regulations were badges worn with the cats tails facing forwards.

Perhaps the way of wearing the badge changed with the role of the division, or perhaps it was a regimental thing. Can anybody please explain.

Thanks,

John
The sword was only introduced into the design of the 56th Division sign in Jan 48 with the entirely new sign for 56 (London) Armd Div (TA) - a blue knight's helmet on red sword on white rectangle. This was replaced in 1950 by the familiar black cat - Dick Whittington's of course - with red sword superimposed. I do not know whether the definitive WW2 black cat was "tail left" or "tail right" - and I don't think that the Division was obsessive about facing pairs. FM Sir Gerald Templer when commanding the Division in Italy was concerned that some of the cats were getting too fat and instructed that future production should feature a slimmer beast. Mike