View Single Post
Old 20-02-16, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke07 View Post
Hi all,

Ever since I had a read of Ivan's excellent 'A Guide to the Badges of The York and Lancaster Regiment 1822 to 1968' I have been smitten by these badges.

So like when I read a book about a VC winner I had to go out and buy a VC…book about another winner. I did the same with Ivan's but this time I bought another badge.

I believe this to be an OSD cap badge to the 2nd battalion not shown by Ivan in his book.

Ivan does show 2nd VB Y&L BM ORs, NCOs and silver Officers and silver and gilt Officers versions of both first and second pattern but not an OSD example.

In Figure 82 he shows an OSD 1st Volunteer (Hallamshire) Battalion cap badge with the 1st VB Y&L as an integral part of the badge whereas mine for the 2nd VB has it around the scroll as per the Officer silver, NCOs and ORs versions.

It has a depression behind the crown and rose as per the 1st VB badge in Figure 182 and as shown in OSD collar badge in Figure 111.

The badge has long copper loops on it and these appear to be replacements from the shiny brazing.

The plot thickens as Churchill in his collar badge book states that lugs east-west signifies a cap badge for the 2nd VB whereas north-south is for collars. These were worn 1904-1908. Ivan has them 1902-1908 for Officers of the 1st VB. I had expected that the lugs might have been replacement for blades but have not found a reference for blades on 2nd VB Y&L badges.

Anyway a badge I didn't have, cheers Dean.
Dean,

Great find, want a nice badge, an exact example of which I never owned (even before I sold off my pre 1914 Y&L badges).

The confusion in the plethora of variations of VB Y&L badges was one of the reasons I gave collecting the early ones and decided to stick to post 1914. Ivan's comments on it and the Y&L OSD VB badges in general is great.

FMT600