View Single Post
Old 20-02-16, 08:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
Dean, a very nice badge and thank you for your comments about my book!

In my opinion, this is an OSD CAP badge that used to have blades and has been crudely fitted with lugs (and why not, the blades can sometimes be fragile and easy to break).

Looking at the reverse, I would say from the oblong indentation behind the Coronet and the indented outline of the Tiger that this is a Jennens and Co badge.

Its one of several varieties of scrolls that can be found,
1. sometimes with the VB as part of the outer scroll (as in yours),
2. sometimes with a scroll below the ground the tiger is on and
3. sometimes as an added soldered on scroll.

I believe that this mirrors the evolution of the OR's badges in that at first they were made with the VB scroll soldered on and then with the VB scroll stamped as part of the badge.

The 1st VB badge I have attached has its VB scroll cast as part of the badge and is on blades. It is made by Jennens and Co.

The 2nd VB badge I have attached has its scroll soldered on and is, like yours, on crudely fitted replacement lugs. Incidentally this particular image of this exact badge has been lifted from here and now resides on a certain disreputable dealers website to fulfil his fantasy of owning an extensive Y&L collection. Don't be surprised if your images also appear there Dean!

I'm not sure Churchill is correct with his assertions about east-west or north-south lugs signifying collars or cap badges as I have seen photographs of collars of both the 1st and 2nd VB's being worn WITHOUT the VB scroll but with the cap badge bearing the VB scroll. I have plenty of collars with lugs and have attached a photograph of an officer of the 4th Bn wearing them in 1915 (worth noting they are NOT worn in facing pairs).

With regard to the dates quoted, again I believe that Churchill is incorrect with his date of 1904 as not only is there reference in the York and Lancs archive to new OSD badges being purchased in 1902 'for new uniforms' but Army Orders 10/1902 - 40/1902 & 251/1902 were published outlining army dress regulations regarding the wearing of OSD (thanks to Graham Stewart for that reference). So to me, the start date of 1902 is correct.

Obviously these badges were not worn (officially anyway) after 1908 when the volunteer battalions became part of the Territorial Force.

Thanks, Ivan
Ivan,

Great information,

Thanks for posting.

FMT600