View Single Post
Old 21-12-15, 05:15 PM

Default My favourite sweetheart brooch

My parents realised early on in my life that I wasn't like other children of my age: I was disinterested in sports, and my vocabulary was advanced, due to my inheriting their love of books, and colourful, due to Dad spending 30-odd years in the Royal and Merchant Navies . Once they were sure that collecting with me was more than a passing fad, and that any family treasures wouldn't be swapped for comics or whatever, Dad entrusted me with his father's 14/15 Star, and Mum with this brooch, the survivor of a pair my uncle brought back to Dublin after serving as a Redcap in North Africa and Europe. Presumably there was once a thriving cottage industry in making these with various badges; doubtless many have been broken or lost over the years, I've never seen another (although TBH I've never looked). It's funny, now I think of it, but it means more now than when I was first given it: it not only symbolises the love a soldier had for his sisters, thousands of miles away, but also the trust my parents had in me at quite a young age.

Anyway, hope you like it

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21Dec2015 003b.jpg (50.8 KB, 81 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.