View Single Post
Old 02-10-17, 01:04 PM

Hi Phil

Thanks for the thorough and professional analysis, considering you are working solely on scanned material.

I have had the US patches for quite some time, acquired from different sources but it would take a lifetime hunting out notes I used to make for each and every single item acquired.

Some are evidently r.f.u. and I suppose would be more desirable than unused condition? The 2nd Army patch you are unsure about appears r.f.u. and there is a narrow all-round remnant of an emerald green base. The shade of this patch when compared to its neighbour is distinctly greener and I wonder if this could be a result of the change in uniform from khaki to green?

The earlier 5th Army patch is r.f.u.

My next scans concern 3 apparently identical 7th Army patches (WW2 period). But when turned over there is a big discrepancy in the weave, especially between top and middle patches - the bottom patch appears to be halfway between the others. with white flecks to the blue ground. These may be nothing more than manufacturers varieties. None have plastic so would they be classified as WW2 unused?

Re plastic on backs of badges. What was the purpose? As a form of binding agent to the weave?

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7thArmySSI_0001.jpg (49.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 7thArmySSI_0002.jpg (65.0 KB, 11 views)