Thread: Para wings
View Single Post
Old 16-07-17, 09:40 PM

Default Parachute Regiment KC Badge Main Variations

Thanks to everyone's contribution and to the various photos shared on this thread, I tried to summarize the main variations of the Parachute Regiment KC Badge that can be found. Of course I reviewed the excellent documentation provided by Arnhem Jim and borrowed one of the photo posted on his site.

Excluded from this review: Silver of silver plated insignias made mainly for officers by manufacturers like Gaunt of Firmin.
I won’t discuss the lug attachments variations and particularly the color of soldering as I don’t have enough evidence. The distance between lugs might be different for voided and non-voided variations (bigger distance for the late one around 4cm).
The convergence pattern of the rigging lines for me is not a relevant characteristic and can be found with either voided or non-voided crown versions.

1 - Voided Crown Variations

- Crown shape: large vs rounded
- Edges of the inner wings: round curved vs straight curved (on the right, picture from O. Lock’s book)

2 - Non-Voided Variations

- Brass alone (nickel plated or not) vs white metal
- Edges of the inner wings: round curved vs straight curved

The inner wings round curved pattern is somewhat close to the one that can be found on the plastic badge.

I would value other opinions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crown Comparison.jpg (25.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Voided Inner wings.jpg (56.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Non Voided Inner wings.jpg (44.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Plastic_F.jpg (19.7 KB, 11 views)