View Single Post
Old 12-11-17, 09:09 AM

Hi Phill
Very pleased you raised the question on here.
Although it may appear anachronistic to find the Combined Operations badge in use in 1949 I can not find any 'specific' reference to its wear in the RA Combined Operations Bombardment Unit concerned (in the image) and wonder if use could have been more widespread too. If so would this be semi-official.

As far as withdrawal is concerned - you are right, in so far as the only note I have being an Air Ministry Order:

AMO A 536/46 20/6/46
It was decided by the three service departments that, as in future, personnel may be attached for a tour of duty with Combined Operations as part of their normal service, it was not necessary to retain the Combined Operations badge in peacetime. With effect from 1 July 1946, the Combined Operations badge would no longer be worn by naval, military and RAF personnel.

This raises a couple of questions as you point out ...
What is happening in the image? is the date of the image correct?
See quote below (as a PS) ... I wonder if former service of the Commanding Officer (CO) in Combined Operations had any bearing? In terms of being an unofficial move by the CO

Looking forward to the thoughts of other members

Mike

PS - I think the illustrated link you attach has a couple of interesting passages:

In November 1947 four of us were posted to Malta to form a new Combined Operations Bombardment Unit (COBU) under the command of two officers who were already stationed on the Island. The officers had been in COBUs during the war seeing much action in Europe and the Far East.

and

(Photo opposite; annual inspection in 1949 taken in the car park at the Lascaris Signal Station in Malta. I'm wearing two stripes next to the two Naval Telegraphists. The Officer standing at the front of the Troop was Capt McQueen who retired as a Major General some years later. In 2004 I wrote him a letter and received a reply not long before he died. The other officer was Capt. Mann-Thomson who was the Commanding Officer. Both were in Combined Operations during the war.)

Last edited by Mike B; 12-11-17 at 09:19 AM.