View Single Post
Old 31-03-17, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBODIXON View Post
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Would you know the rank of the Officers who would be entitled to wear either of these badges? Also, could these have been worn during WW2? The cap was made by S W Silver & Co LONDON.
Jim
Both cap badges would have been worn by all ranks from cadet/apprentice upwards to fleet commodore. Like with the Royal Navy/Commonwealth navies the cap badge worn by officer cadet/mid shipman up to admiral of the Fleet remains the same and only rank insignia (epaulettes/shoulder boards/lapel badges/sleeve lace) would indicate rank and trade.

I cant say if theses particular examples are WW2 vintage but the design of badge was certainly worn in thet era.

The Generic Merchant Navy badge is of the design generally known as the Bombay style and has broader more open laurel leaves (or are they feathers, I've never really been sure?) than the more common and traditional style of MN cap badge. I'm not sure when the "Bombay " style was introduced and whether it was pre or post WW2? Maybe someone else knows the answer to that.

Regards Tony

Last edited by sailorbear; 31-03-17 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Attrocious spelling!