View Single Post
Old 25-03-18, 06:09 PM

Default QGS Piper Plaid Btrooch

Dear Friends.

Since I started this Thread back in January I have been most fortunate.

The Junior Pipe Major from the Junior Leaders Regiment Royal Corps of Signals has indeed come up trumps and sent me the Plaid Brooch that he has kept ever since he joined man service back in 1965.

His name is David "Ginge" Beresford and he was the Pipe Major from April 65 to August 65. He actually kept his Plaid Brooch and I am delighted to say he has sent the brooch on to me to put on my little web site.

The receipt of this badge has actually done three things. It has confirmed that the Plaid Brooch was used by three different Regiment in it's time.

1. Queens Gurkha Signals Pipe Band post 1952.
2. Junior Leaders Regiment Royal Corps of Signals 1960 to 1967
3. The Army Apprentice College, Harrogate 1966 to early 1970's.

I have attaced three photos below to show the three units involved. The first one is in black and white and not the best of quality but show the brooch very clearly. This was taken in 1958.
Second is a photo is of the JLR Pipe Band who performed in the 1967 Dosbandment Parade at JLR Denbury.
The third photo is of A/T Pipe Major John McKay of the Army Apprentice College, Harrogate who is wearing the Black Watch Tartan. This photo was taken in 1968.

I have added the brooch that David sent me which I have cleaned up for display on my little web site some time in the future but nice to see the actual silver gilt brooch.

I have also added three sets of the brooch with the Pipers Accoutrements for all three Regiments with their respective Tartans.

Hope you enjoy the photos and thanks to David for helping me end a very long quest for this badge.

Best wishes

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QGS & JLR Plaid Brooch Silver Gilt 012.jpg (99.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Original Piper and Clan Grant brooch.jpg (88.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Disbandment Parade 1967.jpg (51.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Enlarged_Piping_68.jpg (65.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Gurkha Sigs New Box 2018 003.jpg (72.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg JLR Royal Signals 1960 to 1967 009.jpg (72.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Harrogate QGS and JLR Plaid Brooch 007.jpg (45.3 KB, 12 views)