View Single Post
Old 03-01-16, 04:02 PM

Default "Unusual" KC RAF Officers Cap Badge

Hi Chaps

The recent thread initiated by Peter B reminded me of an "unusual" KC RAF Officers cap badge in my collection.

My late father chanced to call into a military tailors, it would probably be around the mid 1970's and he noticed that they were selling RAF and RN Officers cap badges at £1 each. I'm not sure if they were disposing of obsolete stock (obviously they would be long obsolete by then) or if it was a "closing down" sale; either way he purchased a few of each on a whim. I remember him saying they were stored in shoe boxes, or similar, individually wrapped in tissue paper.

The RAF badge has no makers stamp or label so it doesn't add anything to the other thread but it's unusual in that it hasn't been cut to the usual shape. Does anyone know if these badges were ever worn like this or would they always have a triangular piece of material cut from either side. The other RAF Officers badges I have (KC & QC) are all the conventional shape as are all others that I've seen, as far as I can remember.

Just for interests sake, also shown is a RN Officers cap badge purchased at the same time, this being trimmed in the usual manner. (I was given one each of the badges, don't know what happened to the rest of them!).

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0096.JPG (100.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0098.JPG (80.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0102.jpg (63.8 KB, 36 views)