View Single Post
Old 12-03-17, 04:50 AM

This badge was originally approved as Badge, Arm, Returned Soldier, (Sealed Pattern 1538). It subsequently became obsolete by 1918, possibly as early as May 1916 when a metal Badge, Discharged Returned Soldier (SP No 1521), was introduced by MO 230/1916, as amended by MO 279/1916. This latter was not allowed to be worn in uniform.

In 1919 (MO 20/1919 of 18 Jan 19) it became Badge, Arm, AIF Demobilized Recruit (SP 1688), and was issued to all AIF recruits who on the date of the Armistice were in training in Australia, or who had enlisted but had not yet been called up, and on account of the Armistice were demobilized; all members of the RAGA who had enlisted for training as reinforcements for the Siege Brigade AIF, and who actually volunteered for service in the AIF.

Two badges were issued vide MO 20/1919, to be worn on each sleeve, 1 inch below the head of the jacket, with 1/2 inch of the khaki webbing to show on either side of the badge.

I am not sure of the policy regarding issue and wear of the original badge because I cannot locate the order pertaining to it, however I do recall seeing a light horse tunic with (I think) this badge on the left sleeve and the unit colour patch on the right sleeve. It was from an officer who had been invalided home from Gallipoli but I don't recall the details now.

It might be worth mentioning that this badge has been faked, I think by a serving officer in the Australian Army during the Vietnam War period, who had this and other similar badges made up in Vietnam at the time. I believe the length of the khaki backing was the distinguishing factor but I'd have to defer to the cloth experts on that one.

Keith

Last edited by fairlie63; 12-03-17 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Additional information