View Single Post
Old 08-10-17, 12:52 PM

[QUOTE=slick_mick;423364]Hi Mark,

Just got your copy of this publication - very well done I must say.

I do have some questions/comments about some (mostly) RAAC related items....

CB203 - First Cavalry Regiment.
They wore the RAAC corps badge before they became 2CAV.
The cloth title with the thicker white backing looks similar to the reproduction ones that were being sold by a well known Melbourne dealer.
Is the bottom flash an interim locally made item?

The lower rocker was sourced as part of a pair, still in situ on a correct period battledress and that specimen is considered to be genuine to the period. The idea of placing the two different 'rocker' images together, was to demonstrate the vast difference in manufacturing technology and techniques... however both the cloth shoulder flashes or 'rockers' are really there as context for the metal insignia insignia and provenance on solo/isolated items (such as the upper shoulder flash) is difficult to acquire.

CB210A - 2nd Cavalry Regiment
Is the lugged version of the hat badge an earlier version? (I'm chasing one of these as well).

Yes, it's an earlier version and we have a similar lugged 3 Cav item as well.

CB215 - 2nd/14th LHR (QMI)
I also have a version with 2 pins that I was told was made up by 3 Tp, 'A' Squadron around the same time. Possible the same mould was used?

Without seeing both items, it isn't possible to say conclusively... however if the dimensions are very similar... then the same mould or dies would be a possibility... that's one of the reasons we provide height, width and thickness details, along with weight... to allow very detailed comparisons to be made from a possessed item against a published sample.

I did my D&S course with the late Pat McCormack (who did the one in your book) as well. Remember him well.

CB216 - 2nd/14th LHR
I was issued this badge (flat scrolled version) when I was in the unit and was issued (circa 1990/91) and wore the 2/14LH shoulder titles as in CB214.

Yep, OK. As all former serving soldiers know, there is often a period of overlap between the various issue items for a given Unit or Regiment. QStores have some issue items on the books for years as they run down stock, while they run out of other items without notice... creating a very 'ragged' issue period in reality.

CB217 - 2nd/14th LHR (QMI) Band
I also have a 2 piece chrome version (not painted) but with pins. Do you have any info about this one?

No, I can't help there... I didn't see that variant when we sourced our items from the Unit.

CB221 - 3rd/9th Light Horse (SAMR)
The voided ones were voided by a member who was a jeweler during the early 1990s. Only a few were made and worn only during some regimental dinners by some officers and senior NCOs.

Because of the very fine workmanship involved, we concluded that a Jeweler was the source of those items before being told much the same story by a former member of the Unit as well. So, that all tallies... which is nice to know.

A hallmarked Stirling silver officer collar badge also exists though only a few were made.

I have not seen that item. However, we've come across a number of Officers' and SNCOs' private purchase items and have wrestled with whether to include them or not... and typically we've only done so where it has been confirmed that a significant group of contemporaries wore the items and that the practice was well-known... and either specifically permitted under a given Unit's Dress Policy at the relevant time... or at least the item was routinely 'tolerated' on uniform wear by the RSM/SSM and CO of the Unit in question.

I also noticed no bullion badges were included - they were worn within the RAAC in many regiments and in 4CAV's case, were officially issued items before they got their metal badge. Any plans to include them in future revisions?

We have a substantial reference collection of bullion badges, however we have predominantly stuck to metal uniform insignia and the cloth shoulder flashes and a couple of Unit patches such as the ones for MINURSO etc. If we cross too far into the inclusion of non metal insignia we run the risk of producing a book that is even longer than the 600 pages we've put together to date. Nevertheless, some selected items such as the 4Cav bullion badge could potentially be included in future editions... it will depend upon a couple of factors... especially page count.

And for CB333 Royal Victoria Regiment a brass version with lugs also exists.

Quite a few Readers have provided us with access to some uncommon items. We are always happy to receive information on unusual items when they are available?

Regards

Mark Corcoran
charliebravobooks.com
Co Author of: “Metal Uniform Embellishments of the Australian Army”
Post 1953 (the QEII era) Vol 1 and Vol 2

Last edited by Mark Corcoran; 15-10-17 at 12:56 AM.