View Single Post
Old 07-04-10, 09:31 PM

warning - this thread is a complicated one. It has 3 parts:
1. - responses to posts in this thread
2. - a copy of a post in another thread
3. - some notes on what I would like to get proof on

part one:
Mr. Dunnigan is a proper researcher, the Canadian booklet is a very good study,
Mrs. H. presents data compiled from US and British button magazines and probably data from the Canadian gentleman listed on her site.
When analysing backmarks please think of the people in the shop. They used everything around them until it wore out or broke down. Does anyone think Mr. Smith said: I need the "J.R. Gaunt & Son Ld, Late Jennens, London" backmark die, but Mr. Wright is using it. I'll wait until he's finished ..
Does anyone think the shop manager threw out a good back die, because the fashion had changed? Nope, it went on to live in the old tool rack.

part two:
Aucioneer DNW sales info:

"The new company J.R. Gaunt & Son was established in Birmingham in 1884.
... In 1899 they were incorporated ... By 1905 they had opened an office in London"

Gaunt itself states that they took over London based Edward Thurkle in 1897.
I think this gave them their first London base (and 200 years of history)
From a sword sold at an auction: J.R. GAUNT & SON LIMITED (LATE EDWARD THURKLE)

To put records straight - and this is my original research:
Edward Thurkle went bankrupt in august 1899. A month later a trustee was appointed.

Does anyone know of contemporary QVC badges with "J.R. Gaunt & Son, London" marks?

part 3:
- Would anyone please respond to my question in the above section?
- Can anyone please give properly researched evidence on the 1884 year? I cannot find it.
- here is another one to ponder: "J.R. Gaunt & Son B'ham, London, Late with Firmin"
- this is a tricky one from my own efforts. Note: it is gossip not research.
I think (but am short of proof) that the Gaunts were not welcoming researchers on their own history.
They could well be right to present themselves as 200 years in the business.
However, all clues they give point vaguely to Edward Thurkle's history.
It is strange to buy the assets of a bankrupt company and then state their history is your history, isn't it?
Now, would someone please find out why Mr. Gaunt jr. never told anyone what happened to the family firm?