View Single Post
Old 26-05-09, 06:54 PM

Default J. R. Gaunt & Son Ltd and J.R. Gaunt & Son Ltd!

Further to my comments in post #8 of this thread about the ‘other’ J. R. Gaunt & Son Limited that only came into existence in 2002, I’ve been looking at the Intellectual Property Office’s webpages about Trade Marks with some interesting results. It would seem that a crested trademark with the writing “Gaunt” and “Court Jewellers & Medallists” underneath was registered by what would seem to be this very same company, given as “J. R. Gaunt & Son Limited”, in 2002; though at that time with an alternative address of 3 St James Place, London. If anyone is interested the details of the trademark can be found using the IPO’s Trade Mark Enquiry facility.

Intriguingly it turns out that the Birmingham Post carried a brief article in their issue for 21 November 2002 entitled ‘Firmin is facing unusual legal action’, in which it said that they had “become embroiled in a legal row over the right to use the trading name of J R Gaunt, the business it acquired more than ten years ago” after another company “founded only last year” claimed it had the right to use the Gaunt name. The ‘new’ J. R. Gaunt & Son Limited were actually threatening legal action against Firmin, but Firmin’s then Director Mr Frederick Hsu, who thought the situation was “quite extraordinary”, was apparently taking advice at that point. At present I do not know the outcome of any of this, but still thought members of the Forum might be interested in things.

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 02-06-09 at 07:26 PM.