View Single Post
Old 19-01-09, 07:44 PM

Default Leicestershire Regiment: Looking for authentic Great War cap badge

I recently bought this Leicestershire Regiment Cap Badge from an extremely helpful and friendly gentleman through the internet, who believes it to be from the First World War:

After making a posting about things on the Great War Forum, I was directed here in the hope that members might give me their opinions on the authenticity of the badge. Apparently braze/sweat holes are a good sign that a badge is of an early date, but that their absence does not necessarily preclude a badge from being from the period either.

I have no doubt that the badge is a genuine Leicestershire one, but would really like to know if it is likely to be from the Great War or is actually liable to be a later badge. I have seen a badge already posted elsewhere on the Forum that has a verifiable provenance as coming from the First World War, and the style is not the same as this one, though from what I understand this in itself does not have to rule out the above badge from being from the right period.

One thing I have noticed is that what seem to be the genuine First World War badges have a much stockier kind of tiger (looking to me more like a Scottish Wildcat than a Bengal Tiger!), whereas the one I’ve posted is more lithe in its appearance.

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 20-06-09 at 01:46 PM.